Wednesday 24 October 2012

Blog Hop

Mr E M Edwards has put me up for this. He may say otherwise but I know this is to keep the mystic power of 'Author's who use initials,' intact. (He got this from K T DAVIES*) Of course, that leaves me in a pickle if I don't want to be the one inheriting the curse that will fall on my house if I pass it on to a non-initial using author.

What is the working title of your book?
'A Darkness Against the Stars.'

Where did the idea for the book come from?
A couple of publishers liked my last attempt at a novel but thought it was: A) Lacking in a couple of areas and B) not very commercial. This is an attempt to write something more commercial and also write in a sort of worky manner. I also quite like big stupid galaxy spanning space opera but it tends to be quite right wing. I wanted to have a go at a more lefty, less gung-ho version of it.

What genre does your book fall under?
Space Opera. Which isn't science fiction really as I use entirely made-up-for-plot purposes science.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I think the only film likely to be made of this is one in my front room. So the cast would be me, my son and his tiger. And some masks.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
The greater good has heavy boots.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 
Self-Publishing requires a level of confidence I don't have. Or a level of self delusion. SHUT UP.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 
Six months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 
I don't know. It's quite insular and the focus is very tight. It's about the people who are caught up in big events. Sort of like looking through a keyhole at a big machine, You know stuff is going on but you only see the effects of it.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I can't stop writing. This seemed like the least loopy of the ideas I thought would make a novel length work.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? 
The lead character is a Sikh (sort of) and Sikhs are cool. If you don't believe me here is the evidence –Sikhs being cool. There's also a mechanic which makes FTL travel part of the story, which I am quite pleased with.

Nominate five people to roll this onto
 Eric only did one so I too am going to only do one. I'm not sure if Mr E N Sales will do this but he does write very fine, and very hard science fiction. Even if he's not up for blog hopping 'Adrift on the Sea of Rains' is well worth your time.

*Who's website I could not get to work but she is on twitter @KTScribbles and is very talented follow her. You should also follow @E_M_Edwards who is likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment